I hate that Show…and I’ve Never Even Seen it

I know what you’re thinking because I am pretty much thinking the same thing; how can Sir Griffin hate a show that he’s never even seen?  That’s simply ridiculous, correct?  Well as ridiculous as it sounds and as ridiculous as the reality of it is, it’s true.  There are TV shows that, for one reason or another, I simply hate.  Now I am not talking about ridiculous reality shows that follow around a family or hang out at a business because I should never have to watch Honey Boo-Boo, Ducky Dynasty, Splash or anything involving a Kardashian to know that it is a piece of crap.  No, I am sticking strictly with scripted shows today because if I were to get involved with “reality” shows the list would be almost endless. 

Now I don’t hate every show that I have never seen.  I have never seen Revenge, but I don’t hate it.  Same goes for The Good Wife, Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries and several others.  It’s just that some shows just hit me the wrong way or something and I get this anger built up about them.  I can’t really explain it, but I’ll try.

Dowton Abbey – Until a few months ago I thought this show was called Downtown Abbey and because that makes more sense to me I am announcing that for now and forever I will refer to this show as Downtown Abbey.  Even spell correct agrees with me.  I hate this show.  I hate reading about it in my magazines and I get turned off whenever a new season begins.  I think it just finished its third season and the fact that it took me three years to figure out it was not Downtown really says something about how much I despise it.  First of all I initially thought the show was just a remake of Upstairs, Downstairs, which is another show that I hate despite never having seen it.  The thought of watching a soap opera about some aristocratic British family from 100 years or so ago just bores me to tears.  Critics love it and I know people that love it, but I don’t get it.  I think any time a series comes on that I am told I must watch I get pissed and I start hating.  That may be the case here, but British Costume Dramas always turn me off. 

Girls – When I first heard about this show I immediately thought it was nothing more than Sex & the City (which I also hated, but did see a couple of times) with poor people.  Nothing that I have heard or read about thus far has changed my mind.  I would never watch this show in a million years.  I never had heard of Lena Dunham prior to this show and the fact that I have heard she is naked on pretty much every episode makes me thankful that I don’t have HBO.  I did hear her interviewed on Howard Stern a few months ago and while she seemed like a perfectly nice woman I just have no interest in what she writes.  Again, critics love this show and that very well could be a factor in my dislike, but then again why would I ever watch something in this genre?  It’s just not my thing.

Grey’s Anatomy – This show has somehow been on since 2005 and never once have I been tempted to watch.  If you know Sir Griffin at all you know that medical dramas have no appeal to me whatsoever, but my hatred for this show goes well beyond the hospital setting.  The private lives of doctors should always be a mystery.  I never want to see my doctor out and about.  As far as I am concerned my doctor lives and breathes at his office and never leaves the place except for the occasional round of golf.  The idea of seeing my doctor as human is just wrong and I suppose that’s part of my increased hatred of this show.  I would never allow myself to pick a surgeon that people knew as McSteamy, McDreamy McShithead or whatever they call themselves.  I cannot even tell you if those characters are male or female.  Heck, I just recently learned that before she decided to make a career out of crappy romantic comedies that Katherine Heigl was on this show.  Who knew?

Hannibal – I know; this show just started so how can I hate it already?  Well, despite having never seen any films featuring the Hannibal Lecter character I hate them all.  (Maybe I’ll write one day about movies I hate that I have never seen.  Silence of the Lambs would top the list) It’s not that I have any problems with shows about serial killers.  Quite the opposite actually.  I love The Following and am really enjoying Bates Motel after just three episodes.  So no, it is not the serial killer aspect that bothers me.  It’s just that I hate the character.  I just do.  Critics are raving yet again so I may be in for a long hate/hate relationship with this show.  

Scandal – Frankly I have no idea what this show is about other than a woman having an affair with the president or the president having an affair with a woman.  One of those.  Or maybe the woman is the president.  I just don't know. All I know is that whenever I see an ad for it I cringe and whenever I see an article about it I roll my eyes and get annoyed.  I find hatred particularly odd because I find Kerry Washington to be very sexy.  I loved her in Ray and the Fantastic Four films, but I cannot imagine watching here in this show.  Heck, I’d watch her read the phone book (Do they still make those) for an hour each week as opposed to this show.  BTW, I just got my EW in the mail and AScandal is on the cover.  I guess I will learn more about it while at the same time hating it more.

In addition I could go on a long time if I talked about shows I have seen once and hated so much I never watched them again.  This would include popular shows like The Simpsons, Home Improvement, Dr. Who (which I have always enjoyed calling Dr. Who gives a shit) and less popular shows like Community and The Office (both the British and American versions). 

So tell me friends, what shows do you hate that you have never seen.  I can’t be the only one with this affliction, can I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass