The Amazing Race: All-Stars

Although it is one of the only two reality shows that I regularly watch and enjoy, I rarely write about The Amazing Race.  Today I will right that wrong, not with a recap per se, but rather my early impressions on this, the 24th installment of the popular series. 

I have to say that when I first saw the lineup for this seasons all-stars I was a bit underwhelmed.  We had a couple of teams that were already running for the third time and frankly only one team of hot women.  When it comes to TAR, as it is know, you need at least two teams of beautiful women.  That should go without saying.  In addition to that oversight I saw that we would once again be stuck with one of the most annoying teams of all time, twin sisters Natalie & Nadiya.  Thankfully they were quickly eliminated by coming in dead last in episode one.  I could hear the cheers from around the world when it happened.  I was also thrilled that one of my favorite teams, Mark & Bopper were back for a second try.  Well that thrill did not last long.  So what I want to do today is talk about each returning team and my overall thoughts for the season.  Let’s start with the evil twins.

Natalie & Nadiya – When they first showed up on the show in season 21 I almost hated them instantly.  Their incessant whining and calling each other “twinnie” was enough to make me hurl.  They lasted a long time in that race so I was worried the same may happen again.  When I saw them introduced at the beginning it looked like they had both put on an additional 20-30 lbs and I was shocked.  Whether it was the weight or the pressure I do not know, but they were totally out of sync and came in last.  I rejoiced. 

Joey & Meghan – Back in season 22 they were came in 5th and I was disappointed.  They were not off to
a spectacular start this week, but they can recover.  I really liked them before and they are seemingly just a light hearted and fun so far this time around thus I hope they stick around a while.  They are allegedly these YouTube sensations, but I’ve never seen them anywhere but here. 

Caroline & Jennifer – I despise country music and I have heard a taste of their music and it is just not my cup of tea.  That said I will tell you that these girls were one of my favorite teams in season 22 and are my clear favorite this season.  Yes, these are the hot blondes.  Now that the ignorant twins are gone maybe they won’t get lost following stupid people and just play like they did the last time, which was well enough for a 4th place finish.  As I like to say; Go Hot Blondes!

Jessica & John – These are the two dopes that had an express pass and failed to use it which resulted in their elimination early in season 22.  I never really got to know them before since they only appeared on three episodes so they are a mystery to me.  In fact I barely remembered them.  Still, they seem nice enough and they don’t bug me like those dopey twins did. 

Flight Time & Big Easy – Ugh, do we have to have these two a third time?  It’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just that there were so many more teams out there that I’d of preferred seeing again as opposed to these two.  I really liked them the first time they were on way back in season 15 and I was okay with them when they returned in 18, but I really did not want to see them a third time.  As it is they are extremely friendly and likeable and hopefully will put on a good show this season. 


Mark & Bopper Mallory – When Mark & Bopper competed in season 20 I thought they were a breath of fresh air.  They were one of the most genuine and fun teams to have ever played the game in my opinion.  And if there was ever a team that needed the big prize this was the one.  I was very much looking forward to their return.  That thrill lasted all of about a minute into the new season.  As it turned out, Bopper was diagnosed with pancreatitis and deemed unfit to race by the staff physician.  (Not to self: Bring Phil along on all future doctor visits.  When Browsie appears it makes whatever the doc says easier to handle) Mark was given the option of not racing or going on the race with a replacement.  With Bopper’s blessing Mark made a very difficult decision and decided to race with a mystery partner.  At the start of the race it was revealed that the ever cute and way too perky blonde Mallory, who raced with her father in seasons 17 & 18, would be Mark’s new partner.  (Obviously she and her father were backups for this season) I’ll be cheering for these two crazy kids. 

On a side note I would like to add that the idea of having teams of people that do not have any connection to each other is extremely intriguing to me.  Wouldn’t that make for an interesting season if they did Amazing Race: Strangers?  I love that idea.  You could do it with 11 brand new teams or you could mix all-stars from seasons past together in odd pairings.  They have to do this!

Leo & Jamal – The self-proclaimed “Afghanimals” are back for a second try.  I was often hot and cold with these guys when they competed just last fall in season 23, but I generally liked them more than I disliked them so I was glad to see them get another shot.  They are fun, silly and will do anything.  Plus they are not afraid to make enemies.  I like that.  They know how to play the game.  Glad to have them back. 

Margie & Luke – These two are the true definition of hot and cold.  The first time they were on in season 14 I really, really liked them.  When they returned in season 18 they were obnoxious and downright annoying.  I hated them.  I don’t know what to feel about them this year.  I want to like them again, but all I can really muster thus far is “meh”.  Maybe they can earn back my respect. 

Dave & Connor – This was a team I really liked in season 22.  Unfortunately for them they had to
withdraw due to an injury sustained by Dave.  It was so sad to see them have to give up their dream, but it is a joy to see them back for a second chance.   We did not see too much of them the last time so I suppose it is hard to know how well they can really do.

Brendan & Rachel – This was one of the most vilified teams I had ever seen on TAR.  Why?  Well it was mostly because of Rachel as she was hated by a vast majority of fans for reasons I could never understand.  Brenchel, as they are now calling themselves, were one of my favorite teams because of Rachel.  Rachel was a mess in season 20.  She cried, she whined, she threw fits and worst of all she blamed Brendan for everything.  Rachel was a train wreck and, to me, her antics were a delight to watch.  Now Brenchel is back and this time they are newlyweds.  Thus far we have not seen the craziness, but I am looking forward to it.  You can do it Rachel!

Jet & Cord – When these cowboys first appeared in season 16 they were unique, fun and really likeable.  When they returned two seasons later their cowboy shtick had grown tiresome and they were a complete bore.  They finished first in the opening leg of the race and seemed to me to be a cross between both their seasons.  They do again seem a little boring and that is unfortunate as I do feel they have the chops to win it all.  I hope they can pick up some juice along the way and become a little more like the fun team we saw way back when. 

So this turned out to be just a long look at the teams this season and I am good with that.  For the record I would also be good with a future season of all teams of hot women.  Something tells me Browsie and Phil would enjoy that as well.  Here’s to a great season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass