Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Subway
I know what you are asking yourselves; why in the world is Sir Griffin writing about Subway?  I mean seriously, Subway?  I mean it seems like you are never far from a Subway.  There are two Subways near my place of work.  There are three Subways within an equal distance from my house, just in different directions.  And Subway has always bothered me by hoarding napkins and putting as few onions as possible on my sandwich, but yet I go back.  I beg for more onions.  I plead for more napkins.  Why the hell can’t they have a napkin dispenser up by the sodas?  I can drink as much soda or tea as I can, yet I can only have two lousy napkins.  So why am I writing about Subway?  I will tell you.

I have been seeing the ads on TV for the Big Pastrami Melt Sub and I knew that I had to try it.  After all, pastrami is the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats and besides that it is delicious.  After several bouts with almost giving it a try I finally did so today.

Before I could order I had to decide if I wanted to go with my usual flatbread or one of the many types of bread that Subway serves.  A few years ago Subway experimented with a garlic spread for the sandwiches.  They’d basically turn any bread into garlic bread by taking the spread and putting it on each side of the bread and toasting it.  It was fantastic, but apparently no one else thought so besides me because it went the way of the dinosaur.  So when I walked into Subway today and saw a sign that said “try our new garlic bread” I knew exactly which bread to choose. 

I walked up to the counter and was greeted by Alexis the sandwich artist.  Alexis had that sexy librarian look
Not Alexis
and thus I was quite pleased with the Subway I chose to go to today.  I told Alexis that I wanted a foot long Big Pastrami Melt on garlic bread and she got out the bread and sliced it open.  She asked me for my cheese choice and I went with my usual pepper jack.  But something was amiss.  I looked through the glass display and saw no pastrami.  I was confused when Alexis suddenly called to the back and said “pastrami!”  She set my bread aside and waited on the next guy that happened to order tuna & bacon with Swiss cheese on Italian herbs & cheese bread. 

I waited for what seemed like an excessive amount of time for the pastrami to make its way to the counter when suddenly I saw a big guy that looked like Moose from Archie Comics bring out two of those little paper trays fully stacked with pastrami.  He said something like “duh, here you go Alexis”.  Alexis then told me that the pastrami was not kept at the counter, but was sliced fresh each time.  (Now I do not know if that is the same at every store, but at least it was at this location)  Alexis spread the sensual, salted & cured meat on the bread, placed the cheese on top and then put it in the toaster.  45 seconds later she took it out and handed me off to Jughead.

Not the tall sexy blonde
I like mayo on my pastrami despite the fact that mustard seems to be the more popular choice.  I also went sans pickles, because I am not a big fan.  Thus in addition to the mayo I added lettuce, tomatoes and onions.  Of course Jughead took the onions out sparingly and placed three little onion slivers on my sub so I had to beg for more.  I got three more slivers.  I said “okay Jughead just take a fricking handful of onions just like you did the lettuce and we’ll be good”.  He gave me four slivers and I gave up.  I had him add some oil & vinegar along with salt & pepper and we were good to go. 

Somehow when I got to the register I was met once again by Alexis.  This pleased me.  I added some Dorito’s and a beverage to complete my order.  At $8.50 the Big Pastrami Melt is easily the highest priced sandwich they have, but doggone it I had to give it a try.  I filled my cup with sweet tea and took my seat.  (BTW, I always try to take a seat so I can see everyone that comes in and out of the store just in case anyone hot & sexy comes in.  It does not always work, but today it did.  Yay me!)

I took a sip of tea and chomped down a couple of Dorito’s while I unwrapped my sub.  The sandwich was probably the biggest sub I have ever gotten at Subway.  While certainly not stacked as high as the pastrami/corned beef sandwich I like to get at Jason’s Deli it was still well stacked.  (Much like Alexis)  I lifted the sub and took a bite.  The flavor was very good.  The melted cheese and mayo complimented the pastrami well.  Jughead had put on a little too much lettuce, but it was not that big a deal.  I took a second bite and the flavor of the pastrami filled my senses just like it was supposed to do. 

I tried to read the paper as I ate, but I was distracted by two things: the pastrami and the tall sexy blonde wearing very tight shorts.  If she had not been with a guy that looked like he could beat me up I would have tried to get a picture of her.  Sorry. (Technically everyone looks like they could beat me up, but that's a story for another day) She ordered a salad and ate it very daintily.  I was thus shocked to learn that they sell salads at Subway. 

But back to the sub; it was delicious and well worth the $8.50 I paid.  It’s only there for a limited time (allegedly) and you enjoy pastrami I suggest you give it a try.  I cannot promise Alexis or Tall Sexy Blonde, but I can promise that you will enjoy a delicious sandwich.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass