Sir Griffin will not be Watching the Winter Olympics

Yes my friends you read that correctly; Sir Griffin will not be watching the Winter Games from Sochi Russia. Not one second.  There are several reasons why and I will share them with you now.

First of all I am truly repulsed by the anti-gay laws of Russia.  Google ran an excellent pro-gay doodle yesterday with a quote from the Olympic Charter.  It read as follows

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play,"

Now while that will do absolutely nothing to change the discriminatory laws of Russia (and I realize that things are not exactly perfect here either, but at least things are changing in the right direction) it was certainly a wonderful tribute.

But there is also the stray dog issue.  I realize Sochi has an issue with dogs running rampant, but murdering them is not the answer.  I love dogs and think they are wonderful animals.  I applaud the animal rights workers that have done their best to save these poor animals. Reports are that the Russian Government hired pest control companies to shoot the dogs.  I have also seen reports of them putting out poisoned meat for the dogs to eat and die.  This sickens me and whether or not the stories have been exaggerated is irrelevant to me.  I don't think a Russian billionaire would have put out an effort to save them if they were not in danger.  

However the biggest reason I will not be watching is that I just don't care.  I know I used to love
the Olympics, but in recent years my interest has waned.  In 2008 I think I watched about the first week of the Summer Olympics before I got bored.  In 2010 I did the same amount, possible less, with the Winter Games.  In 2012 I saw none of the Summer Games from London because I did not care and frankly I was still mad about how often they showed wretched beach volleyball in 2008. Every damn time I turned on the TV it was beach volleyball, which should not even be an Olympic Sport to begin with.  

There is also this little fact: why should I care about a sport once every four years?  I don't watch hockey, I never watch ice skating or skiing and in a million years I would still not be interested in curling or snowboarding.  So why waste my time watching something once every four years that I don't think twice about any other year?   

In addition NBC's coverage of the games is awful.  I don't know how many times I would turn it on in the evening and then see about 45 minutes of some "up close & personal" shit about an athlete that I've never heard of/don't give a crap about and then two minutes of an event followed by a plethora of commercials.  Plus they have that tool Matt Lauer.  Can't stand him.

So just like in 2012, the Olympics will go one without me.  No, they won't miss me and my choice to ignore them will not amount to a hill of beans, but I do know I will have plenty of time for other things.  Perhaps I can even start writing on here more often.  Imagine that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass