Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ

If I were asked to use one word to describe Fat Buddies Ribs and BBQ I would have no idea which one to choose.  I could go with outstanding, excellent, amazing, delicious or incredible and each would be a perfect description.  Before I begin the inevitable drooling allow me to tell you a little about the place. 

On a recent trip to Franklin, NC we were blessed with a gift of a $40.00 gift card to use at Fat Buddies.  I knew this would not be a wasted gift.  We went on a Tuesday evening for dinner and while I was told that it could get rather busy there at times, we were fortunate enough to go on a less frequented night.  We were greeted at the door by two things that I love…the aroma of BBQ and a hot girl.  I am getting a little ahead of myself here, but based on the lovely ladies that I saw working there I could easily see that Fat Buddy and I had similar taste in women. 

As we were seated I perused the menu.  Prince Garrison knew exactly what he wanted…ribs.  I can’t say that I could blame him at all and I knew I had to try the ribs as well.  Our server, the very lovely Brittany, came over and took our drink order.  The young prince and I went for the sweet tea because we all know that the best beverage to enjoy with excellent southern BBQ is sweet tea. 

Everything on the menu sounded delicious and it took me a few minute to decide what I wanted.  When I finally decided I went with the Baby Back Rib Combo which was a full Rack of Smoked Baby Back Ribs plus One 1/4 Chicken, 1/4 lb. Beef, or 1/4 lb. Pork, Pulled Pork, Turkey or Beef Brisket and served with garlic bread and two sides.  I went with the pulled pork as the other half of my combo as well as beans and French fries for my sides.  Lady Gianna, the pescetarian, went with a large salad of some kind, but don’t ask me to tell you which one.  It was a salad.

It did not take long for Brittany to bring out our dinners.  As she sat the platter in front of me I was overwhelmed by the aroma.  It was like a dream sequence that you would see in a movie with the steam coming off the plate and tickling my nose.  So delicious was this aroma that I let it waft into my nose for a moment.  The Tangy BBQ was already at our table, but Brittany asked if we’d be interested in trying either the Hot BBQ or the Firehouse sauces.  My eyes must have opened very wide at the sound of her sexy voice (and no woman’s voice is sexier than the one offering you food) as she kind of giggled at the look on my face.  I told her yes on both and she brought them right over. 

The ribs themselves had plenty of sauce on them already and technically needed nothing more.  As I took the first rib the meat instantly detached itself from the bone leaving little trace that it was ever there to begin with.  I took my first bite and I was in rib nirvana.  The flavor was incredible.  As we all know I am a rib connoisseur and these ribs were amongst the best I have ever had.  I added a little of the Hot BBQ to the next rib and it was delicious as well, but for the most part I ate them straight up. 

The pulled pork was another story altogether.  It was served with no sauce, which is the norm, so I had to try each sauce separately to see which I liked the best.  I found them all delicious on their own but by mixing the Tangy with the Hot and a touch of the Firehouse I found a new taste sensation that was spicy, yet not overwhelmingly so to the point of covering the flavor of the pork. 

As far as the side go, awesome does not quite cover it.  The baked beans were astoundingly flavorful as were the fries.  The fries, in fact, were perfectly salted and had that full potato flavor that one strives for in a French fry.  No condiment necessary for the fries, although I made a sort of a combo of my own by mixing some fries in with my pulled pork.  But the garlic bread was the kind that you only find in dreams.  It had a full garlic flavor and even dripped a little butter when bitten into.  Incredible.  I had already polished off the ribs and pulled pork and then picked up the beans to eat them as well.  Lo and behold I found more pulled pork hiding from under the bean bowl.  Like manna from the heavens.

I had finished everything on my plate and it was time for dessert.  I was pretty darn full, so I decided I would just share with Lady Gianna and Prince Garrison.  Lady Gianna got some sort of caramel, apple cobbler thing while the little prince went with a chocolate cake a la mode.  Both were quite good, but nothing could have compared the platter of BBQ I had just feasted on.  I should have ordered some to go for later that evening.  Next time I am going for the beef brisket. 

Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ has two locations; the one in Franklin where we dined and another in Waynesville, NC.  This is one of those “can’t miss” places that you need to stop in and try sometime.  No trip to Franklin is complete without Fat Buddies. 

And FYI: Yes, we exceeded the amount of the gift card by about 10 bucks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass