Sunset Restaurant

On a recent visit to Franklin, NC we had the pleasure of dining at several wonderful restaurants.  On one particular overcast day the Little Prince was in the mood for some trout fishing, but before we went we knew that some nutrition was vital.  So we found what was a small mom & pop restaurant known for its southern cooking and pies called the Sunset Restaurant. 

Sunset is a fairly small place and when we arrived we were afraid we’d have to wait as there were very few parking spaces available.  However, when we walked in we were seated immediately.  The first thing we noticed was the aromas that filled the dining room.  The kitchen could be seen from where we were seated and the delicious aromas were wafting right to our table.  The restaurant was decorated in a very quaint and southern style and had a very homey feel. 

The menu was quite varied and had several favorites that you would expect from a place that served home cooking style meals.  The prices were reasonable across the board, which was great, and there were many items that I considered ordering.  However, when a waitress walked past me and served a cheeseburger to the folks at the table next to us I knew exactly what I wanted to order.  As a well-known burger aficionado what choice did I really have?  Well technically I had several choices, but I wanted the burger anyway.

I had a double cheeseburger ($3.99) and a side of onion rings.  Lady Gianna, who has become a pescetarian, ordered the fruit plate and the Little Prince went with the BLT.  The burger was served to me and it looked beautiful.  My mouth was watering and I had to control my urges to devour it.  Now I have always said that a burger that can stand alone is the best.  Adding ketchup or mustard tends to cover the natural flavor of the meat and thus I normally eat my burgers plain or with a touch of mayo.  On this day I decided to eat half the burger plain and the other half with mayo.  Why you ask?  I have no idea.  It’s just what I did. 

As I said, the burger was a thing of beauty.  I cut it in half and could see the juices flowing out.  I was in heaven and had yet to take a bite.  I put some mayo on one half and let it sit and hopefully enhance the flavor of the beef.  I took my first bit of the plain half.  The burger was dressed with onion, tomato and lettuce and the first bite was like magic.  I could feel the juices running freely down my face and the cheese was melted and gooey to perfection.  I could not imagine being any happier at that moment.  As I finished up that half I cleansed my palate with the onion rings.  The rings were crispy and delicious.  They needed no condiment to assist their flavor.  When I broke into the other half with the mayo I was pleased that the mayo complimented the beef so well.  It was as if I had two different burgers at one meal. 

As I dined I was charmed by the incredibly friendly staff.  My water glass was never empty and our server was pleasant and she just exuded southern hospitality.  One thing I like in a restaurant is when the server asks prior to taking away my plate and she did that.  Cha-ching!  The tip just went up. 

The Little Prince said his BLT was amazing.  While he finished most of it, he did offer me a small bite and I will have to say that I agreed with him.  The bacon was not too crisp and not too soggy, while the lettuce was crisp and the tomato exploded with flavor.  He had also added mayo to his sandwich and again it was a compliment to the BLT. 

After lunch we knew that we wanted pie.  The special of the day was fresh strawberry pie and while I was tempted by the several other options, I went with the special.  Lady Gianna chose the pecan pie while the Little Prince also went with the strawberry.  Since I am not a pecan fan I cannot tell you firsthand of the flavor, but I will tell you that Lady Gianna said it was outstanding and the Little Prince had a bite and agreed.  The strawberry pie was, in a word, unbelievable.  The strawberries were fresh and juicy while the crust was flaky and melted in my mouth.  I was indeed full.

As we went to the register to pay the bill the woman asked us how everything was.  I could not stop giving her praises for the delicious food and friendly staff.  She said we should come back and while I wanted to we never got the chance.  For that I will be forever regretful. 

If you are ever in the vicinity of Franklin, NC please stop in and have a meal at the Sunset Restaurant.  I cannot imagine you will ever regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass