Why the Fuss over Super Bowl Ads?

I cannot stand commercials. I hate them. I hate them so much that I DVR all of my shows just so I can avoid them. So I have a difficult time understanding why people make such a big deal about the commercials that air during the Super Bowl. I want to watch the game. I don’t care about the commercials and I do not care about the halftime show. I just want to see the game.

That said I did see some of the ads. I suppose the commercials are supposed to be humorous and/or intriguing, but for me they did not even bring a smile to my face. In other words, they sucked. Big time.

This morning I tried my best to remember some of the commercials and you know how many I could actually recall? One. That’s right; out of all the ads I saw last night (other than the movie trailers) I could only recall one and I cannot say with 100% confidence what it was advertising. And I know exactly why I recall the ad and that is because it starred Amy Poehler; a comedian that I am a big fan of. I thing she was advertising Best Buy or something like that, but again I cannot be sure.

So I decided to look online at what some of the favorite ads were and see if my memory could be jogged. A few were somewhat recognizable. Let me list just a few and give you my thoughts.

1. There was a Go Daddy commercial with the super sexy Bar Rafaeli kissing a nerdy guy. If she had been kissing Danica Patrick this ad would have actually been memorable. Instead it was just icky. (note to Go Daddy: a 30 second ad next year featuring Bar & Danica going at it would be awesome)
2. Something involving a horse and a guy that sells the horse or something like that and then the horse looks him up a few years later. I don’t really think that is realistic, but I guess reality has never been a hallmark of TV ads. Frankly I have no idea what it was about or for or why the horse wanted to look him up or why he took so long to do so.
3. Paul Harvey yapping endlessly about farmers. I thought he was dead. What was it for? No clue.
4. A wolf tries to attack a couple buying a car or something like that maybe? Again, I have no idea.
5. Blackberry desperately trying to once again become relevant. Not gonna happen.
6. Okay, Stevie Wonder playing some sort of voodoo king and granting wishes or making curses or…oh who the hell knows.

So either I am totally immune to advertising (doubtful) or these were some of the worst ads of all time. (Very likely)

Still, I cannot understand why anyone would make a big deal out of wanting to watch commercials. I mean seriously, would anyone watch CSI just to see the ads? They aren’t any better or worse.

Before I finish up allow me take a moment to give you my thoughts on the halftime show:

I didn’t see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass