Sir Griffin Looks Back at the 2012-2013 TV Season

As I began to write my annual fall TV previews I thought that it might be fun to look back at this past season and take a closer look as to what worked for me and what did not.  My tastes do not always match up with the masses and some shows I thought should have been successful were canceled while others I did not like got the call for a second season.  Some shows just outright disappointed me.  And with that in mind we shall start with…

Revolution – No network show disappointed me more than this one.  It started out okay and it just went downhill from there.  Due to my appreciation and respect for JJ Abrams I hung in there all season, but I will not be back for Season 2.  I was okay with the implausible plot, but the fact that so many people had these secrets and refused to answer questions when asked just bugged the crap out of me.  Plus it really annoyed me that it turns out a lack of power turned everyone violent.  Why could people just work together and create a new society without weapons and war?  Why just create more armies and militias? I knew I had lost interest in this show when it went off the air for 3 – 4 months and I did not miss it in the least.  It could have never returned and I probably would have forgotten I ever watched it.

Partners – I liked this show a lot.  It made me laugh and was canceled way too quickly by CBS.  I know it was savaged by critics, but I was amused and I thought Sophia Bush was sexy so that did a lot for my enjoyment.   Overall I liked the premise and the cast, but I was apparently the only one.  They left half dozen episodes or so unaired and I’d like to see them.

Go On – Quite possibly one of my favorite shows of the fall and easily one of the funniest, but that did not matter as this show was not offered a second season.  It did last the full year and for that I am grateful.  I really liked the quirky characters and I am really unsure as to why it did not work.  This is the show I will miss the most. 

The New Normal – Loved the casting on this show and, for the most part, I found it entertaining if a bit
preachy at times.  I did like that the show came to a satisfying conclusion at the end of the season.  I am sure the producers knew there was little chance of renewal so they gave us an ending.  Thanks.  I will miss Andrew Rannells and I hope that there is another show in which he can star and show off his incredible talents. 

The Mob Doctor/Emily Owens MD – How the hell did these shows ever make it to the air?

Zero Hour – I thought I’d like this show.  I did not and neither did anyone else.

666 Park Avenue – I had high hopes for this show and it was somewhat interesting for the first few episodes, but ultimately it was not nearly scary enough or intense enough to carry it for the whole season.  It was canceled quickly and I lost no sleep over it. 

The Following – I really liked this show.  It was intense, it was frightening at times and it was just creepy enough to keep my interest for the entire season.  However, the finale was a big letdown and kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.  I really thought the show was very good as a standalone series for one season, but it was popular enough to be renewed and will return next year.  In what capacity I do not know, but if I start watching and find out that Joe Carroll survived the finale I am done. 


The Goodwin Games – Fox killed this show before it was ever allowed to air and that was unfortunate because it was original and very funny.  Again, I thought the casting was perfect.  Only seven episodes were produced and I loved them.  I advise you not to ever watch them because it will just make you angry that there are not more.  Becki Newton proved to be very funny as well as incredibly beautiful and T.J. Miller again showed why he is one of the funniest actors working right now.  This guy needs to get a break.  (So do I, but that’s another story)  So if you are reading this T.J. please contact me and perhaps we can come up with a brilliant idea for a regular series for you.  And if you are reading this Becki, just call me. 

Before I go I have to let you know that after two seasons of watching New Girl I am finished.  I thought that this past season was too up and down for me and I just did not like the pairing of Jess and Nick.  Plus we got way too much of the dreadful Schmidt and consequently not nearly enough Winston.  Winston is the funniest character on the show and they give him the worst storylines.  Goodbye New Girl. 

So what is in store for the 2013-2014 TV season?  I’ll have full reports soon so check back early and often.

Comments

  1. I would liked to have seen a good wrap up of 1600 Penn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, no problem: Despite the presence of Josh Gad 1600 Penn sucked.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass