Sir Griffin's 10 Best of 2010

Good day my friends,

2010 was yet another great year in television.  We saw great shows, lousy shows and more reality shows than anyone ever wanted and yet, through it all we watched.  Sometimes Sir Griffin even watches crap, but I try to avoid too much negativity and don’t post much of that.  So today I am going to give you my Top 10 of 10.  Now you may find my list a bit unusual for the following reason: I will not be using any numbering system for my selections.  I will be placing the shows in alphabetical order as I don’t think ranking them is a good idea.  I enjoy all of these shows individually and to compare them to each other is not fair to me, you or the shows in general.  I like them all.  End of story.  So without further ado I present to you Sir Griffin’s 10 of 10.

The Amazing Race (CBS) – Phil does a masterful job raising that eyebrow at every pit stop, but that’s not why this show is on my list.  It is one of only two reality shows I truly enjoy and I thoroughly enjoy watching people panic and make fools of themselves as they attempt to win a race around the world.  I especially enjoy when people do stupid things like not read the clues and mess up, but more than anything the show is just plain fun and I can’t get enough of it.

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) – First there is the catchy theme song and then you have the wacky cast of characters led by Leonard and Sheldon, genius roommates in Pasadena that happen to live across the hall from Penny, one of the hottest women on TV.  Right there you have a great show, but you thrown in colleagues Howard Wolowitz and Rajesh Koothrapali and an assortment of nuts you have brilliance.  To put it simply it’s a darn funny show.  Add in the occasional appearances by Evil Wil Wheaton and you have the makings of a television classic.

Castle (ABC) – Procedurals had never been that much fun until Castle came along.  Somewhat modeled after the once great Bones (which is attempting a resurgence, but more on that another time) and starring Nathan Fillion from one of the greatest Sci Fi shows of all time: Firefly, Castle takes the typical Manhattan police station and turns it into something a little more fun than it should be.  Rick Castle is an author who works with Detective Kate Becket to solve crimes.  The supporting cast is outstanding and they know there place within the universe of the show.  Add in a few inside jokes and you get a tasty bit of laughter with your weekly murder.   

Fringe (Fox) – What can I say about this show that will not confuse those that do not watch it?  Nothing.  The plotline of Olivia trapped in the alternate universe was nothing short of brilliant.  (I must add that the fact that Bono does not exist in the alternate world is a big plus for all)  Of course we all enjoyed watching Eric the Midget’s head explode as well.  That goes without saying.  The dynamic between Olivia, Peter and Walter marks some of the best characters on TV.  Fox has made the decision to move Fringe to the Friday night death slot, but one can only hope there are enough old people like me that have nothing better to do on Friday nights.

Glee (Fox) – A show about a singing and dancing group known as New Directions somehow became the hottest show on TV.  Kurt Hummel is easily one of the best and most fascinating characters on TV.  The episode when he dealt with his ill father almost brought old Sir Griffin to tears.  Will Schuster is probably the weakest character on the show, but when he interacts with Sue Sylvester it is like pure gold.  The show is fun and I love the musical numbers.  Of course, having hot women on the show does not hurt either.  I am oddly infatuated with Santana.  Glee may not be the most realistic view of life in high school (that title is still held by Freaks & Geeks) but it is close.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS) – Okay, so the show is in its sixth season and I have heard a lot of rumblings that it is getting stale, but not for me.  I frankly don’t care whether Ted ever meets the mother of his children or not because I am having so much fun watching these characters interact on a weekly basis.  Barney Stinson is easily one of the most likeable, yet despicable characters in TV history.  The show still delivers the laughs for me and since this is my list that is all that matters.  Plus, you had the bizarre countdown from 50 to 1 in this week’s episode that added the element of a game to the show.  Fun times.

Lost (ABC) – The final season had me glued to my chair just like every other season of Lost.  This show never had a bad episode.  I loved them all and I miss Lost immensely.  The finale left some confused, but not me.  I knew what was going on and I knew enough.  I did not need everything spelled out for me for the show to be great.  Sure, I needed answers to some things, but part of the fun for me was taking the time to research and figure out my own theories.  It was a great ride and even though it went off the air in May I am still riveted by the sideways story of the season.

Modern Family (ABC) – Simply put this is the funniest show on television.  The different families interacting with each other in ways that I could never even imagine are what make this show special.  There are no other characters on TV like Cam & Mitchell.  There is no other Phil Dunphy and for that we are thankful.  I often have to pause this show because I am laughing so hard.  And then there is Claire Dunphy played by one of my favorites, Julie Bowen, who was also on Lost.  I have been infatuated with Julie since she played Carol Vessey on Ed.  I still miss Ed.

Survivor (CBS) – What can I say about this show?  I love it and have loved it since the beginning.  You have read my recaps of the show and know that I love it.  Stupid people, hot girls in bikinis or less, back stabbing, lying and crazy challenges all add up to endless entertainment for me.

The Walking Dead (AMC) – No show surprised me more than this show.  Season one was only six episodes long, but it was some of the best TV I had seen since the beginning of Lost.  It’s bloody, it’s gory and scary.  The characters seem real in an unreal scenario.  The pandemic that created the zombies is never fully explained and that’s fine with me.  All we need to know is that it happened and our friends need to stay away from those infected.  The drama of this show is well done.  How do you handle it when you have to kill a loved one that is technically already dead?  Some can do it and others cannot.  How many shows have a completely hated and despicable character saw off his hand to escape handcuffs, zombies and certain death?  What did Jenner whisper to Rick in the finale?  Season two will not be on until October so we have a long wait ahead of us.  I’m already excited.

So there you go my friends.  My top 10 of 2010.  You may disagree and that’s fine.  We all like different things.  Someone has to watch drivel like Extreme Home Makeover and The Bachelor, though I cannot understand why. 

Until next time my friends…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass