Sir Griffin's Look at the Fall TV Schedule: Fox

So it's time to look at the shows that will be coming to us this fall and mid-season on the Fox broadcasting network.  When Fox started out that put out a lot of crap and I do mean a lot of crap.  Since then they have been just like any other network with their hits and misses.  Well, I can already tell you that there are some hits and misses coming up so let's stop chattering about it and take a look.

Allen Gregory:  With the exception of Family Guy I have never been particularly impressed with the animated offerings from Fox.  I watched The Simpsons once and when I stopped vomiting I vowed never to watch it again.  With that in mind I was delighted by the trailer for Allen Gregory.  Allen is a seven year old child who is somewhat of a genius.  He has composed operas, written novels and is a fan of pinot grigio.  Allen lives with his father, Richard, and his life partner, Jeremy, whom Allen does not particularly care for.  Until now Allen has been home schooled (always a mistake) and is now entering the second grade in a real school.  I have to say that I found the premise amusing, the animation and characters interesting and the story line fresh.  Plus the voice actors, including Jonah Hill & Leslie Mann, are top notch.  Chances of me watching?  About 75%.

I Hate my Teenage Daughter
I hate my Teenage Daughter:  Annie (Jaime Pressly) and Nikki (Kate Finneran) are single moms and best friends that are having lots and lots of problems raising their teenage daughters.  They have both given the girls too much freedom and everything they have ever wanted and have now essentially created two monsters.  Add in the ex-husbands and you have a rollicking good time.  Of course, Annie also has a mad crush on Uncle Jack, the brother of her ex.  I laughed at the trailer and would certainly like to give this show a try despite the fact that I am not too fond of the title.  I like Jaime Pressly and the teenage daughters are very attractive.  Chances of me watching?  80%.

In the Flow with Affion Crockett:  I have never heard of Affion Crockett and I am sure that most of you dear readers are in the same boat.  This is a sketch comedy show in the tradition of In Living Color.  I hated In Living Color.  Chances of me watching?  Nil.

New Girl:  I already love this show because it stars
New Girl
Zooey Deschanel.  Zooey stars as Jess, a quirky girl coming off a very bad (yet quite humorous) break up.  Jess is goofy and way too trusting a person.  She needs a new place to live and ends up in an apartment with three guys; Nick, Schmidt & Coach (not the one from Survivor).  They form an odd bond as Jess returns to the world of dating and they all get used to living with each other.  Jess also has a friend, Cece, who is a cynical model.  Together they form a wacky pair looking for all sorts of trouble and adventures.  This show is very high on my fall viewing list.  Chances of me watching?  Duh, 100%.

Terra Nova:  In the year 2149 the earth is dying due to pollution, over population and the continued breeding of the Palin family.  Most, if not all, plant and animal life are extinct.  The only way to save the planet is to travel 85 million years in the past.  The Shannon family makes the decision to join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to the prehistoric age.  (Obviously this show will make no sense to any of those nut jobs out there that believe the earth is only a few thousand years old.  Wake up you idiots!)  The colony is under the guidance of Commander Nathaniel Taylor (Stephen Lang aka the bad guy from Avatar) who was the first to establish Terra Nova, but is now faced with a resistance of renegades unhappy with his leadership.  There are dinosaurs outside the walls of the colony as well as many dangers within.  This show is from executive producer Steven Spielberg.  Chances of me watching?  Dinosaurs?
Spielberg?  Time travel?  100%!!!!

The X Factor:  Basically the same stupid thing as American Idol, but without age limits.  I guess groups are allowed too, but I just don't care.  I hate this karaoke crap.  Chances of me watching?  Not in 85 million years.

Alcatraz

Alcatraz: (mid-season)  For what it's worth I think J.J. Abrams is a genius.  Super 8 was one of the greatest films of all time, his reboot of Star Trek was incredible and I still think Lost was superior to all TV shows past and present.  So I am excited that he has another show coming on to TV, albeit in mid-season.  This one stars Sarah Jones as Detective Rebecca Madsen, Jorge Garcia (Hurley from Lost) as Dr. Diego Soto and Sam Neill as Emerson Hauser, a mysterious government agent.  In 1963 every prisoner on Alcatraz Island disappeared and in present day San Francisco they have suddenly reappeared having not aged a day.  Madsen is investigating a homicide case when she discovers that a fingerprint left at the scene belongs to one of these prisoners who has supposedly been dead for decades.  The three team up to catch all the bad guys.  I don't have to tell you that I love this premise as it should be obvious to anyone who knows me and what I like.  I can't wait for this show.  Chances of me watching?  100%

Napoleon Dynamite:  (mid-season) A cartoon based on the movie.  A movie that I thought was so awful I could barely sit through 20 minutes of it.  You think I'm going to watch it animated?   Fox has hit a new low in crap.  Chances of me watching?  Even if there was an alien sitting in my stomach waiting for me to ralph it up I would not watch this garbage.

The Finder:  (mid-season) A spin of from Bones, this show follows Walter Sherman, a guy who suffered brain damage in Iraq (damn you Bush!) and now has an uncanny knack of being able to find anything.  He lives in Key West and hangs out with a super hot bartender played by Saffron Burrows and his really large legal adviser, played by the extremely talented Michael Clarke Duncan. Together the three of them team up to solve crimes, find missing people and take on cases that the regular police have given up on.  I
The Finder
loved the preview episode that aired as the series set up on Bones and I have high hopes for the show overall.  It will take the place of the once brilliant Bones when Emily Deschanel goes on maternity leave.  Chances of me watching?  100%

So there you have it for the Fox network.  Some good, high quality shows and some mediocre and lousy ones as well.  As always, opinions may change once the shows start airing.  Keep watching my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass