Sir Griffin's Nostalgia: James at 15


Back in the 1970’s the made for TV movie was much more prevalent on the networks than it is today.  Sure, we still get those occasional Jesse Stone films, but unlike the 70’s we no longer have entire nights devoted to movies of the week.  Often times these movies were pilots for series.  Such was the case with James at 15.  
On September 5, 1977 the made for TV movie, James at 15, was first broadcast on NBC.  As it turned out it was the number one show of that week with an astounding 42% share of the viewing audience.  Almost immediately, NBC green-lit the series and it premiered on October 20th 1977 where it quickly became one of my favorites.
 If you don’t remember the show or if you never saw it to begin with let me tell you the plot.  James (Lance Kerwin) was a 15 year old boy that was transplanted across the country from Oregon to Massachusetts after his father took a teaching position.  James had a difficult time fitting into his new surroundings and thus we had a plot.  James used photography and his imagination as a mechanism to adjust.  In addition James had two sisters, one of which was played by Kim Richards who can now be seen playing herself on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.  I could strongly relate to James’ life because no matter where I was I never fit in, I was fairly close to that age at the time (I was 13) and I had three sisters. 
The show itself was a drama, but was often filled with humorous moments.  It also dealt with serious issues such as alcoholism and teen pregnancy, but as I recall it never came across as too preachy.  It was honest in the way it dealt with these and other situations never speaking down to its intended audience.  It was one of the first shows I can recall that dealt with the feelings one had as a teenager in America instead of dumbing it down and treating kids like they were just a bunch of dopes.  And unlike such shows as Welcome Back, Kotter where the kids never seemed to get any older, James did and the show evolved.  On February 9, 1978 James had a birthday and the title changed to James at 16. 
Lance Kerwin & Melissa Sue Anderson
Unfortunately for me and undoubtedly many others, the show lasted only one season despite critical acclaim.  I had looked forward to James at 17, 18, 19 & 20, but it was not meant to be.  And even though it lasted a mere 20 episode it still had a lasting impact on me.  I’m pretty sure I have not seen this show since it originally aired and, of course, I could certainly be remembering it to be much better than it actually was.  However, in retrospect I recall it fondly and I know I always enjoyed it.  And according to Wikipedia I am not the only one.  Kevin Williamson cited James at 15/16 as a major influence when he created Dawson’s Creek.  Looks like I am in pretty good company.
Lance Kerwin Today
And whatever happened to Lance Kerwin?  Well I read that he quit acting sometime in the 90’s (although it appears Hollywood quit him way before that) moved to Hawaii and became a minister.  I hope he is doing well and knows that his work has not been forgotten.   


If you watched and/or enjoyed this show please comment.  I'd appreciate hearing your memories as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass