Sir Griffin's Look at the Fall Schedule: NBC

As we all know Sir Griffin is way behind in his fall TV previews, but there is no need to complain.  I will, eventually, get all of them finished.  I realize that some shows may have already been canceled by the time I get this all done, but as always, Sir Griffin will do his best.  We’re taking a look today at NBC and fortunately for you I have already seen several of these shows so I can give some definitive opinions.  I am going to start with the four shows in which I have already seen the pilot. 

Go On – Matthew Perry returns with another attempt to headline his own show.  And while I enjoyed Mr. Sunshine, I can tell you that this show is substantially better.  Perry plays sportscaster Ryan King, a widower who has joined a support group to help him cope with the loss of his wife.  I know it does not sound like a particularly funny topic, but I can tell you that it is very humorous.  I loved the pilot and particularly enjoyed the cast of crazies in the support group.  This could be a big hit.  Chances of me watching – 100%

The New Normal – Andrew Rennels (The Book of Mormon) and Justin Bartha (The Hangover) star as Bryan and David, a couple living in Los Angeles ready to add a child to their life.  Scottish actress Georgia King stars as Goldie, a single mother looking for a new life after catching her husband cheating on her with a sexy Asian woman.  Goldie and her daughter Shania abruptly leave their lives in Ohio and relocate on the west coast.  Goldie becomes the surrogate for Bryan and David and hilarity ensues.  Goldie’s politically incorrect grandmother (Ellen Barkin) follows her out to California and meddles in her life.  A station in Utah has already refused to air the show saying it is “inappropriate” and contains “objectionable content”.  All I can say to that is that the people of Salt Lake City will be missing out on a show that is funny, charming and heartwarming.  Plus, I am guessing that grandma could become some sort of Mormon folk hero if the show was aired.  Chances of me watching – 100%


Animal Practice - While not the weakest of NBC’s new comedies it is not the worst either.  However, I will say that I think this show has a terrific cast and has great potential.  Justin Kirk plays Dr. George Coleman, the finest veterinarian in New York City and perhaps the world.  The completely gorgeous Joanna Garcia (and yes, I know she hyphenates her last name since she got married,  but I refuse to refer to her using the last name of that damn Yankee) plays Dorothy Crane, George’s former flame and now the new animal hospital administrator.  The supporting cast is led by the terrific Tyler Labine (Reaper) who eventually will have a show that lasts more than a season or two.  He deserves it.  I liked the pilot, but I did not love it.  I wanted more belly laughs, but then again the more that I think about it Animal Practice may not be that kind of show.  Plus, the show also features Crystal the Monkey as Dr. Rizzo.  Any show that has a monkey playing a doctor is a must see for me.  Chances of me watching – 100%

Revolution – We all know that I am a fan of sci-fi shows and any show that has a mythology and makes me think is always a must see.  If I have questions at the end of each episode for me to ponder for the next week, I love it.  Lost was the ultimate and now also from J.J. Abrams we have another that I am guaranteed to watch.  Again, I have already seen the pilot and I liked what I saw.  Revolution takes place 15 years after all technology mysteriously stopped working.  Electricity, batteries, engines, cell phones, etc. suddenly stopped working one night with no explanation.  Tough break if you are in an elevator or an airplane at that exact moment.  In the pilot we see a man come home and tell his wife it is about to happen while he quickly downloads something onto a flash drive and hides it I n a silver medallion.  What does he know?  We are not told and I’ll just say that the pilot gives us more questions.  The future without technology has turned into a land ruled by militias and warlords long after governments have fallen.  The show has an excellent cast led by the very sexy Tracy Spiridakos as Charlie, the daughter of that man with the flash drive.  Inevitably when you have a show like this you will have a backlash from impatient people that can’t wait two seconds for the story to unfold.  Thankfully I have a high IQ and can handle it.  Heck, even the Little Prince watched the pilot with me and he can handle not knowing everything immediately.  I am very excited about this show.  Chances of me watching – 100%

Guys with Kids - Oh boy, here we go.  This is the story of three hapless and immature men each faced with the task of raising an infant child.  One is single, one is working and the other is divorced.  Each finds their own way to be clueless when it comes to their kids.  In the preview I saw the guys had taken their baboes to a bar to watch a game and pick up women.  Can you just feel the laughter?  I am expecting several episodes full of poopy jokes, how about you?  Can you imagine the backlash if NBC put on a show about three women who had no idea how to raise their children and put them in potentially dangerous situations?  Still, despite the fact the I did not do more than a brief chuckle in the preview and I think it will be awful, I owe ot to my fans to watch this drivel at least one.  That's why the chances of me watching are...5%.

Chicago Fire - This show is about a cow who knocks over a lantern while being milked by...what did you say?  Seriously?  This is not about Mrs. O'Leary's cow?  Dang!  No my friends it is much worse than that.  This show is about the lives of the paramedics and firefighters at a firehouse in Chicago.  While it does star the lovely and talented Laura German as a paramedic, I don't see much more of interest in this overly melodramatic offering from the creator of Law & Order.  I can't see where watching old reruns of Emergency would be much worse than this.  Chances of me watching?  - About the same as the Cubs winning the World Series this year...or ever again. (Note to Brad: The Cubs have won the World Series twice...in 1907 & 1908.  They have not appeared in a World Series since 1945 when they lost to the Tigers)

The following shows are all scheduled for mid-season...and I find it very strange that NBC has such an abundance of shows ready to go.

1600 Penn - Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg) and Bill Pullman (Independence Day) star in this comedy
about a dysfunctional family living in The White House.  I can't say that I was really thrilled when I first read about it, but after seeing the preview I was a little more sold.  The show also stars the hilarious Josh Gad (The Book of Mormon) and I think it is his presence that will make this show funny.  Having a talent like Jenna Elfman does not hurt either.  I liked the preview and I'll likely give it a shot.  Chances of me watching - 80%

Hannibal - Okay I have had it with this stupid Hannibal Lecter character.  Admittedly I have never seen any of the movies that he was featured in nor have I read any books, but I can say from the commercials that I just hate this character.  This is a thriller which I guess takes place before the Hannibal guy became the mortal enemy of FBI profiler Will Graham, because they are apparently working together.  Who cares, I'll never watch.  Chances of me watching - What did I just say?

Crossbones - No preview of this was available, but I can tell you that it is about pirates and pirates, in my opinion, are quite awesome.  This takes place in the year 1715 in the Bahamas and is about the well known pirate Blackbeard.  Pirate ships, sword fights, cannons and sexy wenches are all expected.  Chances of me watching - Hard to say without a preview, but knowing myself as I do I'll go with 90%

Save Me - Anne Heche stars as a woman who almost chokes to death on a sandwich only to find that her near-death experience has left her with a direct line to speak to God.  Essentially her whole personality changes and I suppose she does whatever God tells her to do.  She goes to tell her husband and, of course, he thinks she's nuts.  I'm guessing that the fine folks in Utah won't censor this one.  I saw the preview, but I cannot imagine this could hold my interest.  Chances of me watching - 20%


Do No Harm - Dr. Jason Cole is a mild mannered and successful doctor by day, but at night he turns into the dangerous Ian Price.  There is more than a little resemblance to Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde here.  I have said it before and will say it again.  I am no fan of medical shows.  Chances of me watching -  Cero

Infamous - This is a nighttime soap seemingly inspired by the success of Revenge.  A wealthy socialite is found dead of an apparent overdose.  Her family then embraces her former best friend who is now a detective.  Bad idea because the detective starts to figure out what really happened to her old friend.  Oh my gosh I think they need a new TV network called "The Who Gives a Shit Network".  Chances of me watching - El Zippo

Next Caller - A comedy about a pair of satellite radio DJ's (Dane Cook & Collette Wolfe) who host a relationship call in show in NYC.  It is fairly obvious that Cook's character, Cam, is an egotistical jerk while Wolfe's character, Stella, is a perky feminist.  I have never found Dane Cook to be funny.  Never. However, I did find the preview mildly interesting, but the best part was Jeffery Tambor as their boss.  Chances of me watching - Absolutely none since NBC has already announced the show has been canceled before a single episode has aired.

Ready for Love - A reality dating show starring two people I have never heard
of before: Giuliana & Bill Rancic.  It's produced by Eva Longoria who I have heard of and find incredibly sexy.  Still, that is not enough to get me to watch a dating show.  Chances of me watching - Come on, it's a dating show.  You seriously think I would watch this?

So there you have it my friends.  Better late than never.  I'll leave you with a photo of the stunningly beautiful and sexy star of Animal Practice, Joanna Garcia.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass