I Hate My Teenage Daughter

I Hate My Teenage Daughter is, quite frankly, a terrible name for a TV show.  However after just two airings I am hooked.  I will have to say that I did not have high hopes for this series and it may well become canceled quickly, but while it is on the air I intend to enjoy it.

IHMTD is the story of two divorced women, Annie & Nikki, who are neighbors and best friends in Austin, Texas.  Annie, as played by Jaime Pressly, was raised in an ultra conservative Christian home and was essentially allowed to nothing fun during her childhood.  Well, unless you count trying to convert the Cohen family or burning records as fun that is.  Annie is somewhat scared of Sophie, her daughter, whom she has allowed to have much more freedom than Annie could have ever dreamed of having.  Her ex-husband is a dope named Matt. 

Nikki, played by Katie Finneran, is Mackenzie’s mother and is having an equally difficult time relating to her daughter.  Nikki was an overweight child and is now kind of a knucklehead of an adult.  Gary is her ex-husband.

The ex-husbands still hang around the coffee shop where Annie works and at their respective former homes.  Having never been divorced I can’t say I understand the dynamics of a failed relationship involving children, but I can say that it appears odd to me that the families seem to still be very close.  But, without that we would not have the conflict and the comedy so I’m not going to complain. 

Further complicating things is Jack, Matt’s well to do attorney brother.  He is often involved with the family gatherings and Annie has a mad crush on him.  Again, I find it odd that Annie would be married to Matt and have a major crush on her brother in law, but it is amusing so why complain?

Thus far the storylines have focused on the relationships, or lack thereof, between the teenage girls and their mothers attempts to relate to them.  While the girls are embarrassed by their mothers and are way more interested in their cell phones than anything else, the moms continue to try and become their best friends.  The girls are incredibly unlikeable characters and treat their mothers rather disrespectfully, but that does not stop them from the occasional spark of affection for their crazed parents. 

Last week’s episode involved “family game night” at Annie’s house.  The idea was to learn more about their own daughters, but no one
wanted to be there less than those girls.  Matt & Gary were there as well and they were equally bored.  Jack showed up with an unexpected date and that left us with a flabbergasted Annie.  The exchange between Annie and the date was good comedy.  Jaime has always had great humor and comic timing and setting up a show to revolve around her and let her do her thing is a great idea. 

The cast, while mostly unknown to me, is top notch and they make the characters believable.  Bottom line for me is that this show makes me laugh and I like that.  Comedies without laughter are generally a bad thing.  Like I said, the ratings so far are not good and networks keep their shows on a short leash so enjoy it before it is gone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass