Sir Griffin Looks at the Fall Schedule: Fox

Much like the CW, the Fox Network generally offers a heavy dose of crap each fall.  Now, that is not to say that everything they have is bad nor is it to say that they have shows I do not watch.  I love Raising Hope and I have been watching Bones since the beginning, however they also offer up garbage like The X Factor and its twin sister American Idol.  (I still don't know what the difference is between those shows)  And of course Fox has long been known as the home of The Simpsons, which I have still only seen once.  So when I saw the schedule I could easily see stuff that looked good to me and the aforementioned crap.  Let's take a look.

Sleepy Hollow: First published in 1820, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving is an American classic.  Like many of you, I was first introduced to the story by the animated Disney film and like many I was immediately enthralled with the story.  I have read the story and seen many different incarnations of it.  This one makes my list as one of my fall favorites.  In this modern retelling Ichabod Crane dies in 1790 and somehow returns in the present day.  Unfortunately so does the Headless Horseman and as such Crane ends up teaming with Sheriff Abbie Mills to stop the Horseman's reign of terror.  I am excited about this show and I hope it is as good as I want it to be.  Chances of me watching? 100%

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: From what I have read this is a lot of critic's pick for the best new show of the fall.  I
cannot yet say that share their enthusiasm since all I have seen are the previews, but it looks somewhat iffy to me.  To begin with I am not a big Andy Samberg fan.  Sure he has his moments, but overall he has never really impressed me.  The show itself looks like a reboot of Barney Miller, which is one of my favorite shows of all time.  BNN is a comedy set in a police station apparently in Brooklyn.  Andre Braugher plays the new chief who clashes with goofy cop Andy.  It is also from the makers of Parks & Recreation, which is also a favorite show of mine.  So with all that why am I not excited about BNN?  I don't know.  Chances of me watching?  While I am not sold on it I will give it a chance at least once, maybe twice.

Dads: Now comes the consensus worst show of the season, Dads.  This show has been described as stupid, racist and enforcing stereotypes and from what I have seen it is also decidedly unfunny.  I do like Seth Green and I find Brenda Song very attractive, but the show itself just looks awful.  The basic plot is that these two video game developers suddenly have their fathers move in with them and hilarity allegedly ensues. Martin Mull plays one dad and he is a funny guy.  How desperate for cash was he to accept this?  Peter Riegert plays the other dad and since I have not seen him in anything since Animal House I can understand his desire for regular paychecks.  Chances of me watching?  I'm sorry, but I can't ever see this.


Master Chef Junior: Children are very fragile people.  Many times being in the spotlight is not the best thing for a kid.  That's why I have never liked that the Little League World Series is on TV.  It's one thing to mess up in front of your friends and family, but it's an entirely different thing to mess up in front of millions of viewers. That's why my first reaction to this was  "why?"  I should tell you that I do not watch cooking shows.  Seeing people yelled at and humiliated because they spilled soup is not my idea of fun.  Now take that premise and put the burden on children between the ages of 8 - 13 and you have what I like to call despicable TV.  Chances of me watching?  I hope this show dies an early death.

Enlisted: Scheduled for late fall, this show is about three brothers on a military base in Florida.  They ar misfits and get into all sorts of crazy hi-jinks.  This comedy (and I use that word loosely) looks so horrid it makes me yearn for repeats of Gomer Pyle USMC.  Geoff Stults is a talented actor and his talents are truly wasted in this mess.  Chances of me watching?  I have never in my life yearned for repeats of Gomer Pyle.

At this point I would normally get into the mid-season replacement shows, but I think I want to see more from them before I get into that.  Of course if some of the fall crap fails we may be looking at those sooner as opposed to later.  Don't worry though; I will update you on those when the time is right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass