Sir Griffin's Look at the Fall Schedule: CBS

As we continue our look at the fall schedule we head over to CBS which offers up six new shows.  Will they be any good?  Will any of them last?  Let's take a look, shall we?


The Crazy Ones: When I heard that my one time dream girl Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) was returning to TV once again I was thrilled.  Then when I saw the preview...not so much.  Buffy stars as Sydney Roberts; a woman that works for her father at an advertising agency in Chicago.  That part sounded a bit bland, but I could deal with that.  Then I saw that her father was played by Robin Williams and all interest was lost. I have watched the preview several times as it has been showing in movie theaters prior to, well, movies, and I can tell you that I have never laughed.  I'm sorry, but the shtick of Robin Williams has grown old and I am sick and tired of it.  Sure, he made a good Genie 20+ years ago, but seriously, who needs his manic nonsense these day?  As a dramatic actor I can handle him in small doses, but anything else just grates on my nerves.  Chances of me watching?  When we saw the preview prior to The Wolverine I turned to the Little Prince and told him to hit me in the head with a frying pan if he catches me watching this crap.

The Millers: I will be the first to admit that I am not a big fan of Will Arnett.  His other attempts at TV success have not been particularly good in my opinion, but this one seems different and I think I know why. Creator Greg Garcia is also the brilliant mind behind the classic My Name is Earl and my current comedy favorite, Raising Hope.  Garcia has put together what I believe is great cast.  Beau Bridges is a genuinely funny guy and J.B. Smoove is probably one of the funniest comics working today.  The show itself revolves
around Arnett, his sister and their parents.  He informs his parents of his recent divorce and they decide that 43 years of marriage is enough and they split up as well.  Arnett's mom moves in with him and Bridges moves in with his daughter.  The preview made me laugh and I suppose that is the point.  Chances of me watching? 97%

We are Men: A guy that looks like a young Baba Booey gets left at the altar when his bride runs off with someone else.  He then moves into this apartment complex where he makes friends with Monk, Kumar (sorry, no Harold) and Vern from Stand by Me.  (No Evil Wil Wheaton. Sorry) I watched the preview and wondered four things:

  1.  Did the costuming department run out of shirts for Vern to wear?
  2. Why on earth would they give the lead in a TV show to a guy that looks like Baba Booey?
  3. Was Kumar stoned when he accepted this job?
  4. Will the Emmy people want the awards back that they gave to Monk after seeing this drivel?  
Please take note that I never mentuioned laughing during the preview.  That's because I didn't.  Chances of me watching?  The same as me starring in a movie called Sir Griffin & Kumar go to White Castle.


Hostages: The family of a surgeon who will be performing a procedure on the President of the United States is taken hostage.  The bad guys tell her to let the President die during surgery or her family will be killed.  Is this a two hour movie or a TV show?  How long can this lame plot take to play out?  Two weeks, maybe three at best?  Oy!  Oh my gosh this looks like garbage.  Chances of me watching?  Same as me winning the election in 2016.  

Intelligence: Josh Holloway (Lost) stars as Gabriel Black; an intelligence operative with some sort of high-tech microchip planted in his brain.  Like Chuck before him, he can access information on anyone with this super computer in his head.  And also like Chuck an agent is assigned to him to keep him protected and in line.  Okay so basically this is Chuck without the comedy and no Buy More, correct?  I thought so.  That said I will say that the preview looked darn good and I am a big Josh Holloway fan.  The show also stars the smoking hot Meghan Ory as Riley and the ever popular former CSI star Marg Helgenberger as Lillian.   I really think I need to give this show a chance despite the fact that I have already seen it when it was called Chuck.  Chances of me watching? 93%

Mom: From the brilliant mind of Chuck Lorre comes what appears to be another great comedy.  Mom stars
the lovable Anna Farris as Christy; a now sober single parent dealing with her alcoholism, her children and her crazy mother.  The crazy mother is played by the wonderful Allison Janney and from what I have seen she and Anna have great chemistry.  Since this comes from Chuck Lorre it will be silly ad there will be a lot of jokes flying every episode.  Kudos for the great casting as well.  Christy works at a restaurant with Rudy (French Stewart) and Gabriel (Nate Corddry) plus her ex-husband is played by none other than Badger from Breaking Bad, Matt Jones.  All in all I think this will be the best that CBS will offer this fall.  Chances of me watching? 100%

So now we have looked at the offerings from CBS and since they have settled their differences with Time Warner you fine people in New York, Dallas and L.A. will be able to watch as well.  Just please do not watch The Crazy Ones.  If we all ignore it maybe Robin Williams will finally go away for good.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass