Sir Griffin's Look at the Fall Schedule: NBC

We conclude our previews with a look at NBC.  Now NBC has been in the doldrums lately and as far as I can see not much of that is about to change.  The experiment with the Million Second Quiz was yet another colossal failure, but then again it deserved to be.  So let us take a look at what NBC will be offering us this fall, shall we?

The Blacklist: James Spader stars as Red Reddington, one of the FBI's Most Wanted.  In the pilot he surrenders himself to the FBI, but will only speak to a rookie FBI profiler named Elizabeth Keen.  Why her? Well probably because she's young and attractive, but I am sure there is another reason.  Anyway Red has a list of terrorists, many of which the FBI does not even know exist and he is there to help her find them. Why? Well he obviously has a motive, but that is not going to be quickly revealed.  I Like the premise, I like James Spader and I like Megan Boone.  I think I will like this show.  Though wouldn't it be awesome if James Spader was playing a guy on Step 9 of a 12 Step Program?  Where's that Rum Raisin?  Chances of me watching?  100%

Ironside: A remake of the old 60's & 70's show that starred Raymond Burr.  This new edition stars Blair Underwood as paraplegic detective Robert Ironside.  I remember watching the old show as a kid and never being that thrilled by it.  I am again less than enthralled by this remake.  Underwood plays the role much tougher than Raymond Burr and maybe I am off track here, but he comes across as an asshole.  I think the original show was produced to prove that people in wheelchairs were still human and could still be productive members of society.  Well in 2013 I think we all know and accept that (or at least I hope we do) so what is the point of the remake unless you cast a real paraplegic in the role?  I always say that a remake should be an improvement on the original. This does not seem to be that way to me.   Chances of me watching?  About the same as me hosting a Raymond Burr Film Festival.

Welcome to the Family: A comedy (and I use the word loosely) about two families, one Hispanic and one
Caucasian, coming together when their children begin dating, get pregnant and decide to get married.  There are some likable members of the cast, but doesn't this sound like an old rehashed 70's sitcom?  The plot is unoriginal and the laughs few and far between.  I did not like this preview and I can't the comedic premise lasting too long before it dries up like an old prune.  Chances of me watching?  Only if I am trapped in a room under something heavy and cannot reach the remote.

Sean Saves the World: As Jack on Will & Grace Sean Hayes created, in my mind, one of televisions funniest characters.  He tries once again in this weak sitcom that also stars TV veteran Linda Lavin.  Sean is a divorced, gay father trying to raise his 14 year old daughter, Ellie.  Sean attempts to work on his busy career while at the same time raise a child with a very pushy mother on his back.  He wants to be the best dad ever and pretty much tries way too hard.  I saw the pilot and I gave it a couple of chuckles, but that was about it.  Again, the premise seems a bit tired to me (do we really need one more pushy mom on TV) and while Sean is a fine performer, I think this material is below him.  Chances of me watching?  10%

The Michael J Fox Show: Wow, what a great title.  How long did it take them to think that one up?  Michael J Fox (Really?  I had no idea based on that title) returns to TV playing what is essentially, himself.  (Oh, now the title makes sense) MJF plays Mike Henry, a man who gave up his job as a news anchor after being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.  He has his family for support, including his wife Annie, played by Betsy Brandt from Breaking Bad.  (I am so going to miss that show)  Five years after his diagnosis he decides to return to work.  I like the casting on this show and I am fine with the premise, but I was just not sold from the previews.  I thought MJF was brilliant playing himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm so I have the same hope for him here as well.  Chances of me watching?  About 50%, give or take.


Dracula: I am so freaking sick of vampires.  I was fine with Buffy.  I was fine with Angel.  But since those shows went off the air we have been bombarded by vampires in movies, TV, books and in places I don't even remember.  I wish they had called this "Dracula goes to London" because at the very least you should have an original title.  The story follows Dracula as he goes to London (see!) to get revenge on those who betrayed him.  What fun!  Chances of me watching?  I am freaking sick of vampires!!!

So there you have it kids, the rather underwhelming NBC fall schedule.  I hope you enjoyed reading these as much as I have enjoyed writing them for you.  As the season wears on I will try and keep you infomed and entertained.  Until then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules of Engagement: Where's Jennifer?

Subway's Big Hot Pastrami Melt

Survivor Caramoan: Shamar is an Ass